Office of Automotive Engineering
Exhaust aftertreatment research and development is a core competency at Southwest Research Institute (SwRI). Programs range from a wide variety of testing methodologies, component level research and development, to system integration into vehicles with advanced control strategies. These activities include all types of aftertreatment systems and fuels.
SwRI has developed technologies to improve catalyst performance evaluations and accelerated aging methods. Examples include:
- SwRI's standard engine bench rigs
- Universal synthetic gas reactor® (USGR®) system for evaluating catalyst samples
- SwRI's stoichiometric gasoline burner based system, FOCAS®, for accelerated aging of full size catalysts
- SwRI's diesel HGTR system for evaluation of diesel aftertreatment system performance.
All of these evaluation and development technologies are available to our clients, either in our laboratories or their own.
Exhaust Aftertreatment Technical Strengths
- Aftertreatment technology design, development, testing and integration
- Catalyst aging, durability and performance evaluations
- Catalyst R&D, all engine and fuel applications
- Universal synthetic gas reactor (USGR)
- SCR catalyst system evaluations
- LNT system regeneration and desulfurization strategy development
- EGR cooler and system evaluations
- Lubricating oil effects on diesel aftertreatment and sensors
exhaust aftertreatment • aftertreatment • catalyst evaluation • accelerated aging • FOCAS • HGTR • diesel particulate filter (DPF) • universal synthetic gas reactor (USGR) • selective catalytic reduction (SCR) • lean NOx trap