Simulation of aerial refueling
Complex grid generation including overset grids
Blast wave propagation around a human form
Evaluation of injury mechanics
Multiphase flow in large-scale piping system.
Advanced computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation tools have been developed, enhanced, and applied by staff at Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) to solve clients' problems for more than 25 years.
Computational Fluid Dynamics Expertise
SwRI staff has internationally recognized expertise in:
- Algorithm development
- Modeling and simulation of a broad range of applied engineering problems
- Fundamental analyses
Application of Computational Fluid Dynamics Expertise
Using a suite of CFD codes and computer resources, staff solve a broad spectrum of problems such as:
- First-principles analysis of complex fundamental flows
- Multiphase flow in complex pipeline systems with phase change
- External aerodynamic analysis for a range of body shapes
- Atmospheric dynamics for dispersion
- Turbomachinery dynamic flows analyzing stall and surge characteristics
- Turbulent mixing of chemical species with reaction kinetics
- Explosive hazard analysis for dispersed phase mixtures and condensed explosives
- Fluid-structure interaction with six-degrees-of-freedom dynamics
- Simulation of subsurface flow through porous and fractured materials and wellbores
- Turbulent flows accounting for cavitation and phase change
- Particle and droplet dynamics
- Verification and validation
The Engineering Dynamics Department staff has the expertise to develop, enhance, and apply CFD codes to existing or new classes of problems that clients may need to address and can accomplish this within the client's cost and schedule constraints. An integrated approach using physical experiments, numerical simulations, and analytical methods is routinely employed to investigate and solve complex nonlinear fluid flow and heat transfer problems.
Computational Fluid Dynamics Software
SwRI maintains a suite of CFD software and computer resources that provide a broad foundation to support modeling and simulation projects of widely different sizes and scope. A suite of software development tools and compilers are also maintained.
Simulation of development of a fuel/air plume with low density fuel (top) and higher density fuel (bottom) released from a tank. Contours display the yield potential within the plume.
Aerodynamic simulation of airflow distribution around an
aircraft during a pitching maneuver;
wake region of aircraft is visualized by streamline ribbons.
Dispersion of chemical species downwind of a bluff body
Flow through complex devices
turbulent fluid flow • multiphase transport • modeling • chemical mechanical planarization • hydrocodes • computational fluid dynamics • CFD engineering codes • large-scale numerical simulations • computational simulations mechanical properties of materials • computational simulation • complex flow